Vision care is a year-round responsibility, but year’s end is a time when many of us give special consideration to eye care. Part of this is due to the cold wind that tend to dry and irritate our eyes more than in the summer. Inside air is typically drier this time of year as well.
So while we’re thinking about our eyes, here are some quick thoughts we share with you in the hope that everyone takes proactive measure to protect the precious gift of sight. The following are eye care tips for better eye health in winter.
- Choose a Healthy Diet - The holidays can tempt you to indulge in less healthy diet options. Consider healthy food choices like leafy greens, fruits and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Stop Smoking - Smoking has negative effects to almost entire organ in the body which include the eyes. Smokers are more prone to eye disease which can lead to deteriorated eyesight and even blindness.
- Vision Health Insurance - Take advantage of your vision insurance before they expire at the end of the year. This is the perfect time to have your eye examined and get pair of glasses or contact lenses. Schedule an appointment with your optometrists.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) balances expire at year’s end. What better way to utilize FSA dollars than on your precious eyesight?
- Get an Eye Cosmetic Surgery - If you think your droopy eyelids, under eye circles and puffy eyebags are making you appear older than your age, consider getting an eyelid surgery which can correct these issues. Consult your eye doctor to learn more about this treatment.
- Sharing the gift of vision - You may want to donate to charities that imparts eye care and eyeglasses to those in need.
For more eye care tips, contact VisualEyes Optometrists.